As I write this post, I am trembling with excitement because P and I went house shopping today and stumbled across our dream home. Eeee!! I’m trying really, really hard not to get my hopes up about the house because everyone we know in Portland who’s bought a house recently has gone through several rejected offers before securing a home. Before we started this process we promised each other we wouldn’t get attached to any houses, but I just have a feeling about this place. I don’t believe in fate, but I do believe that sometimes things align in your life with perfect timing and you know when it’s happening because everything feels right. Do you know what I mean? It’s the same feeling I had when I met P and knew immediately that he was my person for life. Eeeeeee! Now that that’s out of my system, I’m brewing some herbal tea and cutting myself a piece of P’s leftover birthday cake to calm down.
While we’re talking about cake, I’ve been meaning to share this super simple yet incredibly delicious blood orange olive oil cake. It’s airy and moist and not too sweet, with a citrusy zing and the prettiest pink glaze I ever did see. Since it’s made with olive oil instead of butter, the only fats it has are the wholesome, healthful kind. My mom came over and reluctantly tried some – she’s not much of a sweet tooth – and immediately asked for a second slice. Yesterday she called and asked me to make it for her birthday in June. It’s officially a winner! You’ll want to make this one before blood oranges disappear for the winter if you’re like me and you’re currently hooked on everything pink, but even after they’re gone this would be tasty with any regular orange, too. Let me know how it turns out if you try it!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice
- 1/2 tsp blood orange zest
- 2 Tbs. freshly squeezed blood orange juice, pulp strained out
- 1 cup+ confectioner's sugar
- Preheat over to 325º F / 300º F convection
- Sift dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- In a larger bowl, beat sugar, milk and eggs together, then stir in olive oil.
- Stir dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, a little at a time until well mixed.
- Divide batter between two 8" cake pans and bake until a tester comes out clean, 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool 5-10 minutes then turn onto a rack to cool completely before glazing.
- Sift the sugar into the blood orange juice a little at a time, stirring, until the desired consistency is reached. You'll want it to be quite thick!
- Spread between the cake layers if you wish, then pour as much as you like over the top of the cake, allowing the glaze to spread from the center.